Saturday, January 1, 2011

Three for one!

Earlier this week Murphy and I were out at the Farmington Bay refuge, as per a previous post.  Murph and I usually park and walk at a certain place - it gives me a chance to stretch my legs and him a chance to run!
This time, he got a 3 for 1!  Down in a corner of a secluded area, he flushed - all at the same time - a hen pheasant, a Great Blue Heron and a kestrel!  Yay, Murphy. 
I anticipated something being spooked, but not all three.  The kestrel I caught up to and photographed later; the pheasant I just watched noisily fly away; and the GBH flew up, turned around and came right back at me - squawking mightily his displeasure at being disturbed!  I'm glad he kept on flying 'cause he was a big guy.
I shot him against the white clouds with a +0.7 EV.  The photos came out pretty grainy and most were not usable due to issues focusing on him. The Nikon 80-400 lens will sometimes do wierd (to me) things when I shoot into a bright background.  I'm still sorting these out so I can get some consistency in these situations.
Anyway - here's the big guy!

Diana and I are flying out tomorrow morning to Hawaii - we'll be staying just outside of Honomu, HA.  Our friends have the places already scouted - Peo, 'lo, sea turtles, black sand beaches, Brazilian Cardinals, Saffron finches, etc.  Will post what I get!
Aloha!!

No comments: