Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mind's eye

Here on my blog, you get to see what my 'mind's eye' sees - or thinks it saw.  Over time, with lots of work and experimentation, I'm slowly learning to be able to present photos that represent much more closely the picture that I saw as I pressed the shutter button.
For me, the grasses in the wetlands are an endless symphony of color and movement, and I am fascinated with the possibility of capturing those moments.  Good thing that digital is cheap, because I throw away a lot of photos! One tool that I have experimented with is HDR - High Dynamic Range.  Basically, the eye can see a much broader dynamic range (range of light and dark) than a camera sensor can capture.  To better approximate what the eye sees, software has been developed to process photo's to blend the lights and darks in a manner that allows the photo to show a wider dynamic range - and the process usually uses multiple, exposure bracketed files to create one 'composite'.

The photos in yesterday's post were processed this way, using a Lightroom plug-in called LREnfuse.  It provides me with a place to begin that does not have that 'HDR' look to it.  Judging from the feedback on the 'big sky' photos, others have really enjoyed it also.
Here's another from the same day, processed with LREnfuse and then enhanced in Lightroom until it felt right.


For me, the wetlands are alive, vibrant with color and life.  Just stop for a few minutes and let the silence soak into your soul and you will see differently.

No comments: