Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Looking up

In the morning, I go out on the deck with the animals, often to sit and drink coffee and enjoy the quiet of the day.  Plus the antics of our kids!  I'm in the habit of looking up as I come out from under the porch, up and to the east as the Wasatch mountains are immediately east.  This morning I looked up and decided to take a picture.  Despite the city lights, still lots of stars show up.  I often see shooting stars in the late evening, plus the various satellites crisscrossing the sky.  Here's the view from the porch this morning: (a 20 second exposure).

Yesterday Murph and I visited the Farmington Bay refuge and saw lots and lots of harriers and kestrels!  Also grasses covered with the hoarfrost from the morning. Later on we visited the cemetery close by that houses black-tail deer - this one seemed like she wanted a treat!

Here's the refuge beauty that I captured:






3 comments:

Unknown said...

Look at those gnarly old man hands on the Kestrel picture!! Thanks for the heads up on that one!

Anonymous said...

Awesome pics, Gerry, as always!
-BYB

Snap-Smith Photography said...

Beautiful!! Love the way the overcast sky makes the perfect backdrop for some of these outstanding photos!