Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Bird day!

Monday after the big snow, Murph and I toured around Sugarhouse park, mostly on a hunch that something might be worth shooting.  And, of course, there were many things worth shooting!  Here's a couple of bird shots from that day, along with a jay that I captured this morning.

The pigeon deserves a bit of drama!  As I inched down the snow-packed road, attempting to position myself to take a picture of 100+ pigeons on a phone line, about evenly split on either side of the pole, I finally stopped and opened my door.  Now the birds were on the left of the door, so I swung the camera-lens combo around and just got it focussed on the birds when they all decided to take off and visit ME!
Unbeknownst to me, they thought I was going to feed them!  As they swarmed down around me, I had Hitchcock's "The Birds" running through my mind and briefly wondered if I should get back in the truck and make a run for it!!
They were everywhere - and this pigeon was sitting on the hood of the truck right about 2 feet away from me.  They have beautiful colors and I love their eyes!

A little bit later we heard the Canucks coming and got this photo - it could almost be Santa and his reindeer!

Finally, I moved the bird feeder up next to the deck today and put fresh peanuts in it.  The Jays have an early warning system that tells them that food is out within 29 nanoseconds of you putting the food out! This guy showed up right away and posed a little for me.

No comments: