Friday, May 30, 2014

Hummer Behavior

Diana and I were looking out the kitchen window this morning and saw this male hummingbird flying back and forth in small circles over some grass - he was just off the ground and flaring his tail a lot. Then he landed on the dirt and sat there for a few minutes.
I snuck out the back garage door with the camera and managed a photo of him on the ground. He then proceeded to do the figure 8's making the classical hummer sound. Since this looked like typical male courtship behavior I looked closely behind the grass he was buzzing and sure enough, there sat a female. I wondered if she was hurt but after the male flew away she did also but in the other direction. I wonder what that was all about - a too-amorous male or ???
I love seeing these new behaviors just by being out.




No comments: