Friday, July 29, 2011

West Desert scenes

Diana, Murphy and I drove out to Fish Springs Wildlife Refuge today - it's over 100 miles from SLC on the old Pony Express route.  A lot of driving, too much, in fact.  But that's another story for another time.
I had rented a 300mm f/2.8 lens and a 2X teleconverter anticipating a lot of birds and wildlife at the refuge. Very disappointing, as there were essentially no birds there and many of the ponds were empty.  Teach me to do my homework before driving!  The redeeming factor was that I was able to handhold the 300mm and get some very sharp photos at f/2.8!

The only large wildlife we saw was blue herons (very spookable) and the interesting entourage assembled on the little island below - pelican, cormorants and great blue heron. I did see the butterfly and lots of the red dragonflies.  Lots of young hawks out, no eagles sighted.

Black-necked stilt

A red-tailed hawk, per the experts at Hawkwatch

Looking west half-way to Fish Springs.

What an interesting mix of birds to see in the desert!

She posed until I got a sharp shot!

Just Beautiful - love what the lens does for the background.

Ravens were enjoying the water.

Redtail I believe.

No comments: