Friday, November 19, 2010

Before the storm

Yesterday afternoon, the wind was blowing preparatory to a storm that was predicted to come in.  Twice during the afternoon, there were predators hunting in the backyard - an American Kestrel and a Sharpshinned Hawk.
My theory is that they were prepping for the storm with readily accessible food - although I did not see either catch any prey.  Another interesting thing was that the magpies were hassling the kestrel, and they fled when I fired my trusty BB gun at them.  But the kestrel did not move.  He stayed around through two shooting episodes and quietly disappeared on his own terms.
The sharpie watched Fuzzy walk around in the yard just below him.  I wondered briefly about the wisdom of the cat, but the hawk did not seem interested in him at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great shots, Gerry!
-BYB