Saturday, February 17, 2018

Refuge Saturday

UPDATE:  Randy has uploaded some of his shots to www.flickr.com/photos/rwtrent.  Very good stuff!
Enjoy!

My neighbor and I toured the refuge this morning, a sunny day before a (predicted) big snowstorm. Loads of Harriers, the first Sandhill Cranes I have seen, several Eagles, Red-tailed Hawk, Rough-legged Hawk, Tundra Swans (young and adult), Great Blue Heron flyby and beautiful ducks. A cold wind kept us buttoned up, but didn't deter our enthusiasm for being there and enjoying what Mother Nature had for us.
Here's the ones I got today - when Randy get's his up in Flickr I'll add a link to his shots.

Not much of a photo but here they are, the first Sandhill's.


Lots of discussion on this one initially, Golden eagle or juvenile Bald or... Now that I look closely it's an adult Red-tailed Hawk.


Northern Harrier


Tundra Swan family -  I believe the back two in the first frame are juveniles due to their dusky heads.



One solitary eagle in the field - we did see one other out in the large pond.


Rough-legged on it's favorite resting spot.


Something disturbed a large group of herons out in the marsh - several flew by us rather close. What beauty.



Northern Shovelers


An American Widgeon. Commonly known as a Baldpate, or Cotton top.


Red-tailed Hawk - juvenile.


No comments: