Saturday, February 1, 2014

Unexpecteds!

I visit the refuge - and most other places - with no expectation of seeing or photographing certain animals, birds or things. I've found that this way, I am looking at everything with a more critical eye and I see more diverse subjects. It works for me.
Today was a great example of that - Murph and I got to the refuge in the middle of a snowstorm so we just hung out on top of Goose Egg Hill until it slowed a bit. Then we meandered down to the end of the road and walked a ways down one of the dikes.
The unexpected on the dike walk was the gull fishing - I'd not seen this before.
The next unexpected was the 'masked marauder' - the raccoon making his way down the edge of the creek.
And thirdly the Falcon sitting on a fence pole - I believe it may be a Merlin rather than a Peregrine but will be checking on the ID. UPDATE: It is a Prairie Falcon - first one I have seen!
No expectations = lots of surprises and great beauty!





No comments: