Wednesday, February 12, 2014

R.I.P. Nancy Holt, Sun Tunnel creator

I had the good fortune of meeting Nancy Holt at an event that the UMFA held in her honor last year. Intriguingly, I had not heard of her before or her Sun Tunnels, yet I felt an immediate connection to her and her work.  Perhaps because she seemed to have a disdain for the traditions is why I felt connected.
She and her entourage visited the Sun Tunnels towards sunset and Murph and I were out there much earlier to see and learn about them.  No experience compares to being in the emptiness  of the West Desert with no one else around. Words cannot describe it. To think of the vision she had as she constructed these tunnels out in the middle of nowhere boggles my mind.
Nancy Holt died yesterday at the age of 75 - here are a few of my favorite shots from the time out in the desert. Here's a link to the article -.http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/arts/design/nancy-holt-outdoor-artist-dies-at-75.html?_r=0

Nancy is the lady in the black vest and the aqua hat.






No comments: