Thursday, March 15, 2012

Lessons learned in unlikely places.


A friend of mine is an instructor at a local high school in a program that supports kids that are unlikely otherwise to continue in school. He is a fountain of patience and knowledge.
We've been photographing these classes over the last 6 months, and I went back in today since some new kids were in the classes. During the first class, one of the kids was acting up and loud and a bit disruptive.  Later, as I talked over the day with George, he told me - this kid has two parents that are drug users; he has been in every jr. high and sr. high school in the valley and his acting out is about "if I do this will you love me or kick me out - again!"
Hearing that changed my whole view of what had happened, and I can see that the patience of Job is needed to let these damaged kids know they are valued.


1 comment:

Gail said...

I was about to say that George looks like he just stepped out of GQ, but I'm not so sure you'd see those orange shoes in GQ.