Saturday, March 10, 2012

Farmington Bay Refuge Nature Center

I went out to Farmington Bay Wildlife Refuge this morning about 8:30am, and parked and walked about the Refuge Nature Center.  The heron rookery is here and lots of paths and great views.  I had rented a 200-400mm f/4 lens and intended to use it on my tripod; however, when I arrived at the parking lot, I did not have the adapter for my tripod - so handheld it was!  This is an incredible lens - as you will see from the photos below (I know - gear is good, but vision is better).
Mostly I focused on the herons, wanting to capture them in the morning light and record some of their comings and goings from the rookery.  Along the way, a harrier flew by and showed off; and a muskrat swam by. The geese in their hi-rise apartment remind me of the old song - "Row, Row, Row your boat!"

Here you go - Enjoy!














Gliding along behind a screen of rushes, the muskrat warily eyes the human pointing that thing at him.

No comments: