Friday, March 4, 2011

Orchids in light (aka More fun with flash)

I just had to test out what I learned at the Nikon lighting seminar last night, so I picked on a new orchid sitting on the living room table. Previously I'd bought a flash color kit (plastic sheets of colors approximating certain color gels) so I dug them out and put them on the flash.  WoW!
With minimal preparation I created the following - all of these were shot in full daylight; 1/2000 at f/5.6 and one wireless flash on camera right. All were minimally processed in Lightroom 3 and the composite created in LR3 using the custom package feature in the print module.


If you have interest in doing this yourself, here's the link to the Nikon wireless speedlight guide http://www.nikonusa.com/en_INC/IMG/Assets/Common-Assets/PDF/FastTrack_To_WirelessSpeedlights.pdf (sorry Canon users, I don't have that link - check out The Strobist instead).  The Nikon trainer last night was Paul van Allen and he does a LOT of this stuff and posts much of it on Flickr.  I got the wireless link from him.
Have fun!  Try water dripping from a faucet!!!

No comments: