Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Homeward bound

Diana and I are flying home, using GoGo WiFi to stay occupied; nice to be able to work and play as you like at 36,000 ft.
I walked around the Smith house this morning saying goodbye to Jane and Stuart. Both are still very tangibly present for me in this place full of great memories. Truly an honor to have known and spent time with both of them.

Over yonder in a small town named Siler City, there is a hamburger place named Johnson's.  It was started in 1946 and is therefore the same age as me.  When I turned 50 they had big signs up and I have a picture of them.  I'm a little late for the 60th, but perhaps the 70th!!  They come in early, grind the meat and make everything themselves, then open for lunch until they have run out of food! Works.  If you are ever in Siler City at lunch time, come early! And no need to dress up - burgers and fries are served on wax paper.

No comments: