Saturday, November 14, 2009

Snowy Rose


The better I get at taking pictures the more I realize how much there is to learn. Take this picture. A simple picture of a rose with snow on it. Yet, looking at it in the garden, there's more to it and sometimes I can't find the words to define what the 'more' is.
So I 'mess around' in postproduction. I use Lightroom and often move the sliders and dials just to see what results they will produce. Sometimes I do well in visualizing the end results and sometimes not.
In this photo, although not overexposed initially, I used the recovery (recover highlights) slider to the max and then the fill light to the max to get the background to appear as it does. A bit of black added to the end result and decreasing the saturation but maxing out the vibrance brought the color to what you see.

Several comments about the entire process - 1) there is no 'right way'; 2) experiment; 3) computer algorythms often work differently than what the mind thinks they should!

No comments: