Wednesday, November 25, 2009

New way of looking

Today, the day before Thanksgiving, I left work a bit early and took a drive around the edge of the Great Salt Lake, the portion from the sailboat marina to the airport.  It's a narrow two-lane road with the freeway, I-80, on one side and the mud and marshes of the Great Salt Lake on the other.  The Audobon society has a preserve out there and there is a radio station and winter grazing areas for farmers.  Nearer the airport there is a herd of antelope - I counted 30+ today.  I've seen bald eagles sitting on fence posts and coyotes going about their day, all very close to the city.



Usually there are a couple of hawks out there, also, hanging out in the dead trees.  Rough-legged and redtails, along with the occasional kestrel.  Today there were two rough-legged.  One spooked as I drove up so really got no good pictures of him/her.  The other flew right up to the vacated perch and landed there for me to watch and snap a few pics of.
Here's one that struck me - the fence posts, the smoggy sky (color slightly distorted), wire forms in the background from discarded cement, and the hawk, in it's spare beauty, coming in for the landing.

Later tonight, I was sitting out on the back deck with Murphy and a glass of wine.  I set the glass up above us on the handrail and later, looked up.  Had to take it's picture!
What's not obvious is that the small lights in the glass are from the moon - half a crescent.  A great day, all in all.

No comments: