Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Refuge Wednesday

Another quiet day at the refuge today, but the Sandhill Cranes kept me busy. A truck ahead of me drove by the maintenance buildings and suddenly there were two cranes crossing the road right behind it! They just meandered a ways down the road, then into the same field I had seen them in last week.
Further on, a Great Blue Heron surprised me by sitting on the fence. He flew away once before I had a chance to photo him so he came back and posed!
Up on Goose Egg Hill I was practicing being the 'Great Stalker' when a Cooper's Hawk with his lunch flew into the tree in front of me. Lunch was a bird of some kind, I think a dove from the color of the feathers.
After he left, first a Kingbird and then a Hummingbird posed on top of the tree.
On the way out, the cranes posed again and a Tern obligingly swung by for a photo.
Fun day!
When I got home there was a Swallowtail Butterfly on the butterfly bush waiting for me!









A

No comments: