Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Refuge Wednesday

I spent much of the morning at the wildlife refuge and boy, is it quiet out there! Not a raptor in sight despite trudging through much of their territory.
But, as usual, there were plenty of beings to keep me occupied, including stalking a sandhill crane for about 30 minutes to get a photo. It was worth it!

Great Blue Herons, Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets, Black-necked Stilts, Pelicans, White-faced Ibis, Common Terns, along with a bunch of juvenile Black-crowned Night Herons in the trees. The swallows kept me company as I trudged through the marshlands, listening to the night herons croak and the Cock Pheasants squawk at me. Very peaceful.

Here's a few of the shots I liked..

White-faced ibis eating - the colors in the murky waters around it are real. As water level diminishes and heat rises the 'putrefaction' quotient rises also resulting in some cases in very cool color combinations.


Solitary hunter - Great Egret.


For some reason Great White Pelicans like to line up - whether on land or swimming they are often in lines.


Pelicans - another view.


Colors in the marshland...


Snowy Egret and it's disheveled hair..


My first glimpse of the Sandhill Crane that I spent so much time stalking.


It slowly moved away from me, hunting as it went.


Great Blue Heron, Great Egret and Black-necked Stilts..


Someday I'll get a real closeup of the egret like this...


No comments: