Friday, June 3, 2011

Bird Crazy!

Murphy and I went out to Skull Valley, in the western desert area.  You really would not think of it as desert right now as it is so wet that mostly we walked in squishy grass!  But anyway, we saw some beautiful birds - Long-billed Curlews and Willets!
The Curlews are beautiful - a very golden color that is so wonderful when highlighted by the sun.  On the ground they are very gray and blend into the grass so well that it is hard to see them.  The Willets are also beautiful, primarily due to the black and white bands on their wings that show when they fly and when they land.  Similar to the Curlews, on the ground they are very nondescript and easily missed.
We were in their breeding area so they flew right at us many times, showing very little fear.  After we had been there a while and moved a bit away, they ignored us.  Guess they knew we were harmless!




Wonderful big sky day - and Murphy enjoyed it also!


At home, I used a rented 300mm f/2.8 lens with a 2X tele-extender on it giving me a total of 600mm.  At that distance I used a tripod and got these two photos - the black-headed grosbeak and a sparrow.  I really want to get a Lazuli Bunting - perhaps tomorrow one will show up.  Since I got the lens all I have seen are the first-year buntings and they do not have any color on them.


No comments: