Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Backyard fun

For all his fans, Frankie, a.k.a. Fuzzy, is doing incredibly well.  He's gained over a pound since his last visit to the vet, still as soft and fuzzy as ever, and just as filled with energy as ever. Here he is in the backyard watching Murphy carefully before deciding whether to attack or not!

Also in the backyard were a plethora of hummingbirds.  I believe that the ones with the bright red spot on the throat are rufous hummingbirds, and the other one is a black-chinned hummingbird (very similar to a ruby-throated hummingbird). The color appears to come and goes - as you can see.  I think the color comes out when on attack or alert, and is subdued or very dark when not.
The rufous are fierce!  They hide out and attack any other hummer that tries to use the feeder.  During one chase they came about 3 inches from my face - I do not believe they are afraid of anything (or maybe it is the testosterone!!).



















The black-chinned below snuck into the feeder while the rufous was gone.  He is on high alert as you can see by the color.
























Hiding out in the willow tree!

Hummer leaving the willow tree in attack mode! See how bright the color is now!

1 comment:

Snap-Smith Photography said...

I didn't know that their colors intensified when excited........makes sense though, now that I think about it. These are great shots, Gerry. I haven't been able to get a decent shot of hummingbirds yet. If I can get one that isn't zipping all over the place, I'm too far away to capture what I want. I'll keep trying.