Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Within the frame

Part of my process of learning to take photographs, is to practice what I have been taught.  In this case, it was from a film photographer (since echoed in many other readings), who stated that you, as the photographer, are totally responsible for everything in the frame/viewfinder/picture.  This includes all the extraneous stuff that often we do not see until looking at the picture on the screen, and sometimes not even then.
Working with this theme, I present two pictures of the same subject below.  One has the extraneous and - for me - distracting grasses that were present in the frame.  The grasses have been removed from the second, allowing the focus to be entirely on the subject and it's play with light. 

I hadn't been aware of the impact that the distraction has until I put these two side by side.  I felt my eyes continuing to wander to the light colored grass in the first one; but they rested peacefully on the flowers in the right one.


So much to learn and experience - what an incredible trip this is.

No comments: